I’ve been meaning to post about this training for a while now, but just now finally getting around to it.
A couple of weeks ago our outgoing Cubmaster and I put on our first BALOO training. I have been wanting to do more training and finally discovered that if I want to do training, then just do it — all I need are students! Well, with an upcoming Pack Family Campout coming, I was able to locate a few potential students.
We put on the training at one of our den leader’s homes. He had a great location for us to actually do all of the training outdoors, and with the weather cooperating, we took great advantage of this!
We followed the curriculum and kicked off the day with a outdoor flag ceremony and then proceeded to the car port where we settled in to do the first couple of sessions projecting our slide deck up on to a polka-dotted bed sheet pinned to the wall — it made the perfect screen.
We tried to incorporate as much “doing” as we possibly could to the point of after going over the scout gear (tents, sleeping bags, mess kits, etc.) I had the guys (who were already split up in to dens) participate in a tent erecting race. It was fun and it ultimately turned in to a nice chat about different types of gear.
The variation I made was instead of them doing foil packet dinners for their lunch, we did some dutch oven cooking. Again, split in to dens, I had one focus on the preparation of a lasagna and the other den on a chicken noodle soup. I have to say, both dishes turned out wonderfully and the guys loved it.
After lunch we dove in to the campfire program and actually had a camp fire. Our CM handled this session and incorporated songs and such and gave the guys numerous ideas of putting on a camp fire program.
In all, it was a great day of training. I was able to get some great feedback from the students and have already begun to make course corrections for the next time I teach this subject — I can’t wait to do it again.
Below is a short slideshow of the students participating in different sessions of the training and below that is a copy of the slide deck I prepared for the training.
Another note… The one major feedback item I received was that they would have preferred to have the slide deck printed out so they could take notes on the pages to tie a visual image to the presentation and their notes. They also found the Appendix method used in this course to be very confusing. The next time I do this I’m going to re-work those appendixes and try to make it all a little more fluid.